Tuesday, November 18, 2008

More boots


and why this isn't a food blog...*

I'm a pretty good cook. I'm not one to take a compliment well, and even less one to toot my own horn (and that's not a euphemism for anything)...but I'm a pretty good cook. This is born out of:

a) passion: I have wanted to be a pretty good cook since as long as I can remember, and I am, to an embarrassing degree, food-centric (aka, obsessed).

b) necessity: I, regularly, am solely responsible for feeding eight humans. Practice makes perfect. Necessity is the mother of invention. Etc...

But this is not a food blog (and by that, I mean, that I have heretofore not posted recipes, menus, what have you...) primarily because I can not seem to take a decent picture of the food I make. Something about the lighting in our kitchen, the several cameras I use, and my general ineptness at Photoshop, makes it impossible for me to take a decent food shot.

When you look at cookbooks these days, the photography, styling, and settings are so perfect and inviting and beautiful they take what could be merely a sideshow to the recipes, and turn it into a scene stealing artform. I aspire to this.

So, frankly, I've been embarrassed to talk much about food, because I don't have a decent picture to go with the text.

But I really like this picture of our shoes, left at the door after three of us came home.

So that's what I'll show you, for now. But trust me, we're eating beautifully over here.

More tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

tt

* An homage to this blog-go read it and laugh.